Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Rocky Ford and the Big Blue River

June 16, 2012

We needed a new place to explore, so we drove to a local fishing area called Rocky Ford.  We had intended on having a picnic somewhere, but when we got there, we discovered it was not that kind of place.  It was more of a...fishing place for some interesting folks, let's say.  Nonetheless, we were determined to have a good time.  So after we ate lunch standing up, and I screamed my way through the whole Rocky Ford bathroom experience, we were ready to explore the area.




Despite the trash and concrete walls, you could see that Rocky Ford used to be a beautiful area.  This site was used by Native Americans and pioneers for river crossing years ago.  A timber and rock mill and damn was replaced by a concrete power one in the early 1900's, and finally in the 1980's a retaining wall and walkway were built for fisherman.  I personally try to see the area how it once was, and to do that, I have to turn my back to most of it.

Back turned.

We turned our attention to the nearby Heritage Trail.  It winds with the Big Blue River, there is abundant wildlife, and it's short enough for a three year old on a scooter.




Rose was sleepy, but she was hanging in there okay.


Daddy and Dale practiced skipping stones in the river.




Rose and BOB sat sleepily nearby, watching the birds fly over the river.



Off the beaten path you're bound to find old buildings begging to be photographed.

3 comments:

  1. I love how you document your adventures. You research and take pictures of not only your adorable children, but of scenery and life. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Wendy. Not only great pictures, but I also love your narratives. You tell such a good story. And I love how you and Mark are always ready to explore new areas with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto. Seriously, you guys have some great adventures, and I love pretending like I'm on them with you!

    ReplyDelete