Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mommy and Daddy Hit the Town

August 26, 2012
 
Wait, what?  Did I say Mommy and Daddy?  Alone?  Without the children?  WHAT?!  Yes, you heard me right, we had a date.
As the Titanic exhibit at Kansas City's Union Station drew to a close, I decided I may kick myself some day if I didn't get to see it.  Cuz really, it was the Titanic, and when will we ever get to see those things in person again?  Carpe diem, y'all.  And no, there is no way you can go through that exhibit without doing two things:  1.  Tearing up even just a teeny bit.  2.  Humming "My Heart Will Go On" in your head repeatedly.
While I was unable to photograph the Titanic exhibit, I was able to let loose on the nearby area with my camera.
 
 
I have never been able to roam Kansas City freely as an adult.  But for this one day, Mark and I walked all over, taking in this seriously cool city that we grew up right next to.
 
The Kansas City Union Station has a deep and exciting history that began in 1914.  Honestly I couldn't even pretend to process it all,  because I was too busy staring at the chandeliers and ceilings and windows and...  Seriously, this place is awe inspiring.
 
 
A short walk away from the Union Station, we visited the Missouri Korean War Veterans Memorial, Crown Center, and of course Liberty Memorial with its magnificent views of the Kansas City skyline.  Just wandering around the area you'll see statues and sculptures and squirrels drinking coffee.  What a treat!


Ah, the World War I Liberty Memorial.  I am sorry to say that I overlooked it while I was growing up, but in the 90's, the Memorial was known as being somewhat sketchy, to say the least.  Thank goodness the citizens of Kansas City took notice of its disrepair and decided to revitalize this tremendous site.  Now, not only are the grounds at the Liberty Memorial clean and pretty, but the 2006 addition of the official United States World War I Museum, makes this stop a must for all citizens.

 
I'm such a sucker for a good frieze.  This one is Egyptian in style and absolutely stunning.  Yay for art!  And there is art all over the place here.  It's very inspiring indeed.
 
The Frieze inscription reads "These have dared bear the torches of sacrifice and service. Their bodies return to dust but their work liveth evermore. Let us strive on to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."
 
 
 The view from the top?  Amazing!  The Kansas City skyline is evolving into something quite grand.
 

See you again soon, KC!  I'm not done with you yet!

Since I know my kids are too cute not to see daily, here are a few pictures of them at Manhattan's Purple Power Play on Poyntz.  Never mind that it is basically K State's pep rally.  And never mind that we now own purple pom poms.  Just to clear the air:  ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures, Wendy. Loved the squirrel drinking coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, awesome pictures. Love the experience through your pictures.

    ReplyDelete