Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Kansas Museum

The Kansas Historical Society has a great little museum in Topeka that I had somehow, despite having grown up in Kansas, never been to.  It was even better than I had imagined, and it held the interest of my kids for quite some time.
We finally removed the back seat in our double stroller, allowing Dale more freedom to roam if he so chooses.  This was our first major trip out of the house without that seat belt strap to keep Dale on lock down.  It wasn't easy, but thanks to Monga, we made it.


Oh me oh my!  A fabulous hat exhibit!  Monga and I had a ton of fun browsing at these amazing headpieces from different periods of time.


Even hat pins tell a story.
The museum winds through many eras in time, each section telling its own special story.  Dale found the tepee fascinating and strange.  It took a lot of convincing for Dale not to climb right on inside it.


This is the face Rose made when she saw that tepee.  Pure excitement.

Sister loves museums.


Dale's favorite thing at the museum was the train.  Yes, a train!  And you could walk through a few of the cars.  Dale stayed inside that train for a long long LONG time.


Rose wanted to make sure I saw everything.


Apparently my mother and her sisters used to call my Grandmother Carrie Nation, because she was always so anti-alcohol her entire life.  I love that.  I love that she held her ground her entire life and stood up for what she believed in.

This postcard now proudly hangs on my fridge.
Not only does this museum have all the nifty artifacts, but it has a play area for kids, where they can play dress up, have a tea party, put on a puppet show, etc...  It's all for kids!





The Pioneer Dude
It was hard to tear my kids away from the museum.  Will I ever be able to say that again?

1 comment:

  1. I have never been there, either. It looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete