Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Discover Topeka

March 31, 2012
One day while I was desperately searching for fun things to do with my kids, I stumbled across the Topeka Combat Air Museum's website, and I just knew we had to go there asap.
As soon as we walked in the door, I knew we were walking into one of Dale's dreams.
 
"Oh. My. Gosh."
 
The Combat Air Museum was fabulous. They have aircraft dating from WWI to present day, as well as engines, military exhibits, and even artwork. To top it all off, this museum comes equipped with cute little old men, who will gladly follow you around and tell you anything you want to know.
 
Genuinely happy.
 
Soooooo cool.


Rose's favorite part was sitting on the wooden toy airplane.


We all took turns sitting in the cockpit of an old plane.  Dale thought it was pretty darn awesome, but Rose seemed to think it was some kind of torture device.

Rose aspires to be a Blue Angel.

Right off the Forbes Field runway, there was a massive Lockheed EC-121 that visitors can explore at will.
 

Dale felt right at home inside this airplane.


But our favorite plane was the F-14 Tomcat. As I write this, I am humming the "Top Gun" theme song and crushing on Tom Cruise all over again. That's how cool those planes are.

"I feel the need...the need for speed!"
"I don't like you because you're dangerous."
"It's classified. I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you."
"Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full."
"You don't have time to think up there. If you think, you're dead."
"It takes a lot more than just fancy flying."
"Great balls of fire!"
And finally,
"You can be my wing man anytime."

Now back to Topeka...

"That's right Ice...man. I am dangerous."
Last one I swear.

Needless to say, we all thought this place was awesome.


After we left the Museum, we headed to downtown Topeka for a closer look at the Capitol building. There is some restoration going on there, but the building is architecturally awesome. Construction started in 1866 but took 37 years to complete.


Just a few blocks from the Capitol Building is Jayhawk Tower. I've wondered about the awesome neon Jayhawk signs on top of this building for years, so I finally looked it up and discovered that it used to be one of Topeka's leading hotels and is now a registered historical site.


On the way home we stopped at another place I've frequently pondered...the little white schoolhouse right off the highway. We walked right up to it and discovered it is called the Stach School, built in 1877. The kids had a great time running all around it. It's fun finding these little Kansas gems.


Right across the road from the schoolhouse is an old section of the Wea Creek Bridge. The rusty wrought iron looked so cool next to the soft Redbud trees. Another Kansas gem. They're everywhere if you look.
 

Since the Spring is burning time in Kansas, there are fires and big clouds of smoke everywhere you turn. These fire clouds loomed over Manhattan, but since I was in a good mood, I thought it was kind of pretty.

Prairie burning.

 
There is so much to discover!

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up, my dear! What wonderful field trips you take your family on!

    ReplyDelete